Kindergarten teachers, are you looking for something to make planning for your whole group literacy block or Reader’s Workshop time easy, fun, and developmentally-appropriate? These kindergarten interactive read aloud units contain everything you need to teach foundational skills, phonemic awareness, reading comprehension, story elements, shared reading, vocabulary, mentor sentences, and Kindergarten grammar.
The Empowering Little Readers Kindergarten reading curriculum is based on the close read model for interactive read alouds – each week you will focus on one book and going deeper within that text.
Digital Options for Distance Learning: I have added in options for some of the recording sheets to be used in Google Slides™ and Seesaw™. I was not able to make all activities digital, but most.
Each week contains 5 days worth of lesson plans for you with foundational or phonemic awareness activities, shared reading with weekly poems, whole group interactive read aloud lessons, independent work, vocabulary, mentor sentences, grammar, literacy crafts, original nonfiction books, and directed drawings. This curriculum is designed to meet the Common Core State Standards.
➞Interactive Read Aloud Lesson Plans: Each week includes interactive read aloud lesson plans based around the close reading model. These lesson plans will teach reading comprehension skills using picture books as mentor texts.
➞Student Reading Comprehension Response Worksheets: Each lesson includes student reading response worksheets to follow the mini lesson. These grow in difficulty throughout the year to meet your Kindergarten students where they are.
➞Nonfiction Books: Original nonfiction books are included each week, beginning week 3. These books will help students connect fiction and nonfiction texts and topics.
➞Phonological and Phonemic Awareness: Each week includes daily phonological and phonemic awareness lesson plans. These are quick daily phonemic awareness mini lessons and games, and usually includes one worksheet per week.
➞Vocabulary: Four vocabulary words from the interactive read alouds are introduced each week. Daily vocabulary mini lessons and worksheets are included.
➞Shared Reading: Weekly poems for Kindergarten are included for shared reading. These are original poems! Student poetry folder and notebook printables, and poem emergent readers are included.
➞Crafts and Directed Drawings: Each week includes one Kindergarten craft and one directed drawing to go along with the story.
➞Kindergarten Mentor Sentences and Grammar Curriculum: Mentor sentences and Kindergarten grammar mini lessons are currently being added to each unit! This includes a mentor sentence related to the picture book, Kindergarten mentor sentences daily mini lessons, and student printables. The mentor sentence routines also include Grammar lessons and Kingargarten grammar worksheets.
What if I don’t teach Aug-May?
These can be taught whenever you are in school! I personally begin teaching in September and we will start with the August unit. You can teach the books out of order, but I suggest not moving the foundational skills/phonemic awareness lessons as they will build on each other. BONUS BOOKS can be swapped in where you want or used to extend the year.
What Books Will Be Used Each Month?
- The Pigeon HAS To Go To School – Mo Willems
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom – Bill Martin Jr
- We Don’t Eat Our Classmates – Ryan T. Higgins
- Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug – Jonathan Stutzman
- After the Fall – Dan Santat
- You Get What You Get – Julie Gassman
- The Panda Problem – Debrah Underwood
- Under My Tree – Muriel Tallendier
- Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos – Susan Middleton Elya
- Escargot – Dashka Slater
- Leonardo the Terrible Monster – Mo Willems
- Stumpkin – Lucy Ruth Cummins
- Because of an Acorn – Lola and Adam Schaefer
- Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion – Alex Smith
- Turk and Runt – Lisa Wheeler
- Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep – Maureen Wright
- Mother Bruce
- Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter – Kenard Pak
- The Wish Tree – Chris Turnham & Kya Maclear
- Stick Man – Julia Donaldson
- Almost Time – Gary D. Schmidt
- Saturday – Oge Mora
- Penguin Problems – Jory John
- Can I Be Your Dog? – Troy Cummings
- Finding Kindness – Deborah Underwood
- The Love Letter – Anika Aldamuy Denise
- Alan’s Big, Scary Teeth – Jarvis
- Truman – Jean Reidy
- The Box Turtle – Vanessa Roeder
- The Tiger Who Lost His Stripes – Anthony Paul
- The Thing About Spring – Daniel Kirk
- The Seedling That Didn’t Want to Grow – Britta Teckentrup
- BONUS – Jamie O’Rourke and the Big Potato
- Harlem Grown – Tony Hillery
- Too Many Carrots! – Katy Hudson
- When the Storm Comes – Linda Ashman
- Snail Crossing – Corey R. Tabor
- The Very Impatient Caterpillar – Ross Burach
- When Grandma Gives You a Lemon Tree – Jaime LB Deenihan
- Ohana Means Family – Ilima Loomis
- Jabari Jumps – Gaia Cornwhall
- BONUS – The Watermelon Seed
Kindergarten Grammar Curriculum:
- Sorting into Categories
- Nouns and Verbs