Themed writing centers are the perfect way to engage your students and build structured choice into your literacy centers! These watermelon themed writing center activities are perfect for preschool-1st grade and allow you to easily differentiate. Visual “I Can” posters help promote independence and keep this center running smoothly!
This center is also included in a year-long bundle! Find that here: Themed Writing Center for the Year!
- Vocabulary Cards: Build your student’s vocabulary for each topic! You can hang these on a ribbon with clothespins or place on hooks with binder rings. I keep my old cards in a basket at the center for easy access.
- List Writing: Students can write a general list or a list about a topic.
- Card Writing: Students can write cards to friends or family. You might even keep a mailbox and have a mailman be a classroom job!
- Letter Writing: Again, students can write letters to friends, family, or staff. In the product preview, I put an anchor chart showing how I introduce letter writing in K!
- Story Writing: Students can write a one page story or write a book with a cover! Two levels of writing paper are included.
- Story Starter Paper: This paper contains a picture for students to write about. Perfect for students who have a hard time generating ideas!
- Sentence Fixers: Students will trace, cut apart and glue, and write a sentence.
- I Can Posters: These posters give students visual directions to make sure they can complete each activity independently.