Are you wanting an alphabet curriculum that will build strong beginning readers? The Empowering Little Readers Pre-K Phonics Curriculum has everything you need to teach explicit daily phonemic awareness and phonics lessons in Preschool, Pre-K, or Transitional Kindergarten (TK). The Pre-K Phonics Curriculum was designed with best practiced from the Science of Reading in mind to give your students a strong foundation in the alphabetic principle.
Pre-K Phonics Unit 1: Meet the Letters includes 13 weeks or 65 days of phonics instruction. This preschool + pre-k phonics unit is meant to introduce students to the letter sounds and the letters that spell each sound. This unit will familiarize students with the letters before they learn how the letters work together in Unit 2.
⭐ Save by getting this in the $-SAVING Yearlong Pre-K Phonics Curriculum!
Pre-K Phonics Curriculum Unit 1: Meet the Letters includes daily instruction in:
- Phonological and phonemic awareness
- Whole group alphabet lessons
- Music and movement
- Student independent practice
- Differentiated small group options to scaffold or extend the learning
In the Preschool + Pre-K Phonics Curriculum, students will meet Letter Lion, the official mascot of the Empowering Little Readers Pre-K Phonics Curriculum. In Unit 1, Letter Lion will introduce students to the letters and letter sounds each day. In Unit 2, Letter Lion will be learning to read right along side your students!
Preschool + Pre-K Phonics Unit 1 Includes:
- 65 Daily Lesson Plans
- Daily Student Printables
- Alphabet Motions and Posters
- Alphabet Mouth Formation Cards
- Original Letter Songs
- Nonfiction Alphabet Books
- Scaffold + Extend Small Group Activities
- Alphabet Decodable Readers
- 12 Alphabet Centers
The 12 alphabet centers included are:
- Alphabet Build
- Alphabet Pattern Block Letters
- Alphabet Cube Letters
- Alphabet Dot It
- Alphabet Search and Find
- Alphabet Spin and Cover
- Alphabet Sorting Mats
- Alphabet Brick Letters
- Alphabet Body Letters
- Alphabet Letter Hunt
- Alphabet Roll and Write
- Alphabet Cut and Sort
Take a closer look at the lessons:
Each component of the Pre-K Phonics Curriculum lesson plans was designed to pack as much impact as possible into your day.
- Phonological and Phonemic Awareness – These are quick phonological and phonemic awareness routines that will only take minutes each day.
- Whole Group Lesson – The whole group lesson is short, around 5 minutes each day. Students will be introduced to the sound and the letter that makes the sound.
- Music and Movement – Daily original songs are included for each letter and each letter pair.
- Student worksheet – A short daily student practice worksheet is included to reinforce the letter in print.
- Optional Small Group Activities – Short small group lessons are included to scaffold or extend the lesson. For scaffolding, students will focus on the mouth formation and sound of each letter. For extending the learning, students will begin using concepts of print as they read alphabet decodable readers.
Pre-K Phonics Unit 1 Scope and Sequence by Week:
- a, b
- c, d
- e, f
- g, h
- i, j
- k, l
- m, n
- o, p
- q, r
- s, t
- u, v
- w, x
- y, z
Pre-K Phonics Unit 1 Phonological Awareness Scope and Sequence:
Weeks 1-3: Repeating sounds and sentences
Weeks 4-6: Counting words in sentences
Weeks 7-9: Hearing rhymes
Weeks 10-12: Identifying rhymes
Week 13: Producing rhymes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I use the Pre-K Phonics Curriculum units with my preschool, transitional kindergarten, special education, or kindergarten classroom? Yes! These phonics lesson plans would work well for preschool, pre-k, transitional kindergarten, or in a special education setting. They will not cover an entire Kindergarten scope and sequence, but would work well for Kindergarten phonics intervention.
Would the Pre-K Phonics Curriculum work well in a homeschool setting? Yes! These lesson plans are designed to be easy to follow and include everything you need. They would work well in a homeschool setting.
Do I have to follow the Pre-K Literacy Curriculum lesson plans exactly? No, I know that there may be more included than you have time for. Please feel free to break up the day or pick and choose the activities that would be the most meaningful for your class.
Does the Pre-K Phonics Curriculum align with the Science of Reading? Yes! The Empowering Little Readers Pre-K Phonics Curriculum was designed with best practices from the Science of Reading in mind. Unit 2 will match up with the scope and sequence of my Prereaders Science of Reading unit.
Are the lesson plans or materials editable? No, i’m sorry, these are not editable at this time.
Are these lesson plans included in any of your other resources? Yes, the Pre-K Phonics Unit 1 is included in the Pre-K Phonics Curriculum for the Year.