Are you looking for a hands on guided math unit to teach sorting by color, shape, size, and attributes in preschool and pre-k? This Preschool and Pre-K Sorting Math Unit has everything you need for a hands-on, integrated sorting unit.
The pre-k math curriculum units were designed to make teaching math in preschool, pre-k, transitional kindergarten, or special education classes fun, engaging, and meaningful!
The Preschool and Pre-K Math Curriculum Unit 2: Sorting Unit include 10 engaging pre-k guided math lessons to give your students a strong math foundation. This Colors Unit will introduce your students to each color and beginning sorting.
⭐ Save by getting this in the $-SAVING Preschool and Pre-k Math Curriculum Bundle!
The preschool and pre-k Sorting Math Unit uses the guided math model for each lesson.
What does preschool and pre-k guided math look like? You will have a short whole group time with a number sense warm up, math mini-lesson, music and movement. Then, optional differentiated guided math small groups are included to further explore the lesson objective.
The Preschool and Pre-K Math Curriculum lessons include:
- Number sense warm up
- Whole group math lesson
- Music and movement with original math songs
- Guided math small groups for scaffold, meet, extend
- Optional math worksheets
- Low prep pre-k math center mats
Pre-K Math Curriculum Unit 2: Sorting Unit Lessons
- Sorting same objects by color
- Matching objects that are the same color
- Sorting different objects by color
- Sorting by size (big and small)
- Sorting by size (big, medium, small)
- Sorting by shape
- Sorting by shape
- Classify and sort by categories
- Sorting by attributes
Mentor texts used in this unit (you will need to purchase separately):
- A Pair of Socks
- Big Bear, Small Mouse
- Three Little Firefighters
Take a closer look at the lessons:
Each component of the Pre-K Math Curriculum lesson plans was designed to pack as much impact as possible into your day.
- Number Sense Warm Up – This is a quick math warm up that will only take 1-2 minutes and usually means getting up and moving and grooving!
- Whole Group Lesson – The whole group lesson is short, around 5 minutes each day. Students will be introduced to the math concept. This time may also include literacy integration with math mentor text read alouds.
- Music and Movement – Daily original songs are included for each type of sorting.
- Pre-K Guided Math Small Groups – Students will dig deeper into the math objective in small groups. The small groups are differentiated for scaffolding the skill, meeting the skill, and extending the skill.
- Student worksheet – A short daily student practice worksheet is included to reinforce the math skill.
- Low Prep Pre-K Math Centers – Low to no prep preschool and pre-k math center mats are included to continue practicing the math concept. This unit contains 8 math centers.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I use the Pre-K Math Curriculum units with my preschool, transitional kindergarten, special education, or kindergarten classroom? These guided math lesson plans would work well for preschool, pre-k, transitional kindergarten, or in a special education setting. They will not cover an entire Kindergarten scope and sequence, but would work well for Kindergarten math intervention.
Would the Pre-K Math Curriculum work well in a homeschool setting? Yes! These pre-k guided math lesson plans are designed to be easy to follow and include everything you need. They would work well in a homeschool setting.
Do I have to follow the Pre-K Math Curriculum lesson plans exactly? No, I know that there may be more included than you have time for. Please feel free to break up the day or pick and choose the activities that would be the most meaningful for your class.
Are the math lesson plans or materials editable? No, i’m sorry, these are not editable at this time.
Are these math lesson plans included in any of your other resources? Yes, the Pre-K Math Unit 2 Sorting Unit is included in the Preschool Pre-K Math Curriculum for the Year.