Are your students ready to tackle and explore coins and financial literacy? Everything you need to teach an engaging guided math unit is included here! Students will get a better understanding of money values, counting coins (not mixed), spending vs. saving, and needs vs. wants.
These units were developed to be taught whole group but would also work well in a small group setting. The teacher will be guiding the students in an I do, We do, You do model!
Each lesson includes a full lesson plan with:
- Anchor Charts
- Warm Up – engaging whole body counting and number sense activities
- Whole Group Activity – students will explore each concept with a hands-on activity.
- Game or Activity – most of the activities in this unit will be partner or small group sorting activities, but not all.
- Independent Follow Up – students will apply what they learned whole group to an independent paper activity.
- Home Extension – students can practice even more at home with a short practice page.
There are 9 lessons in all:
- Identifying and Counting Pennies
- Penny Front and Back
- Save vs. Spend
- Identifying and Counting Nickels
- Nickels and Pennies
- Identifying and Counting Dimes
- Identifying and Counting Quarters
- Counting Coins (not mixed) – this lesson will last 2-3 days
- Needs vs. Wants
OR save BIG by getting the growing year-long math bundle here: Kindergarten Guided Math Year-Long Bundle!