CVC decodable sentences are the perfect way to work on kindergarten reading comprehension and fluency. These no-prep CVC decodable sentences are a great alternative to decodable passages for beginning readers. With these CVC decodable sentences, your students will be working on beginning reading comprehension and reading fluency based on a specific phonics skill.
Why use CVC decodable sentences? Research shows that strong readers are able to decode in context and then comprehend what they read. These CVC decodable sentences allow your students to work on reading decodable sentences based on the specific phonics skill they are working on (CVC short vowels), and then answer beginning reading comprehension questions about the sentence.
How can I use these CVC decodable sentences in the classroom? These kindergarten reading comprehension passages are perfect for small reading groups, skill-based guided reading, intervention, homework, or early finishers. They are a great scaffold before working with longer CVC word decodable passages.
What skills will these kindergarten reading comprehension passages target? These kindergarten reading comprehension passages will work on decoding, reading fluency, reading comprehension, and visualization. For each page, students will:
- Decode CVC words in isolation
- Read the CVC word decodable sentence 3 times and color a star each time they read
- Answer two multiple-choice questions about the sentence
- Visualize and illustrate the sentence
What is included in this pack?
There are 60 CVC word decodable sentences in this pack.
- 10 CVC Short Vowel A Decodable Sentences
- 10 CVC Short Vowel E Decodable Sentences
- 10 CVC Short Vowel I Decodable Sentences
- 10 CVC Short Vowel O Decodable Sentences
- 10 CVC Short Vowel U Decodable Sentences
- 10 CVC Word Mixed Short Vowels Decodable Sentences
Looking for more resources to work on decoding and reading comprehension?
- Alphabet Decodable Readers
- Beginning CVC Word Decodable Readers
- CVC Words and Short Vowels Decodable Readers
- Digraph Decodable Readers